Instructions For Use
The Humor In Cholangiography
Trial Request Form
Clamp® - Kumar Catheter®
- Kumar SILS Clamp
Kumar Clamp® - Kumar Catheter® - Kumar SILS Clamp
& the Kumar SILS Clamp are both stainless-steel, reusable 5mm
laparoscopic graspers with long (3.8 cm) atraumatic jaws and
shaft lengths of 37 cm. and 45 cm respectively. The Clamps also
have a channel for introduction of the single-use Kumar Catheter®.
Instructions for Use:
(The use and applications for SILS vary according to the surgeon's preferences)
Please note that this is not a primer of surgical techniques or cholecystectomy.
Apply the Kumar Clamp® thru the right mid-sub-costal port at
the beginning of the conventional laparoscopic cholecystectomy procedure.
Use it as a regular grasper for traction at the infundibulum during
dissection of the cystic duct.
The Hartmann's pouch becomes bulging and prominent due to compression
caused by the Kumar Clamp®. Caution: Avoid injury to the lower
surface of liver from the tips of the Kumar Clamp® jaws.
After Cholangiography, open Clamp jaws and use the Kumar Catheter®
to aspirate and empty the gallbladder. This will make it much easier
to separate the gallbladder from the liver bed and to extract from
The device is for use by qualified surgeons, who are familiar with
this device prior to surgery.
LOOSE PARTS ADVISORY
There are three (3) loose
or removable parts on the Clamp: the black plastic cap over the
flush port, the channel valve assembly and the screw that holds
the valve in place.
The Kumar Clamp® is a reusable 5 mm grasper of 37
cm length. It is supplied non-sterile. The Kumar SILS Clamp is similar
and of 45 cm length. See Instructions for Sterilization below.
and The Kumar SILS Clamp: Clean and steam autoclave in accordance
with the guidelines of Association for Advancement of Medical Instruments
(AAMI): Standards and Recommended Practices: Sterilization in Healthcare
Facilities. CLEAN AND STERILIZE AFTER EACH USE. Additional Instructions
are on page 4.
The Kumar Catheter® is supplied sterile and is for single
patient use only.
is guaranteed unless package is opened or damaged.
Inspect instrument after each use for damaged or loose parts** and proper function. Remove any gross contamination. To assure cleaning of all surfaces, the clamp jaws, channel valve and the flush-port cap must be open.
1. An initial cold water and blood/protein-dissolving enzyme solution rinse (or soak for heavy contamination) helps remove blood, tissue and debris from device lumens, joints & serrations.
2. Flush and clean interior of instrument through the Flush Port and the Catheter Channel (Fig. 1) with cold water and blood/protein-dissolving enzyme and antiseptic solution. Allow solution contact for 5 minutes.
3. Pre-clean clamp jaws and tips with a brush.
Washing / Decontamination
1. Place instrument in a separate wire basket on top shelf of the automated washer / decontaminator and allow a full cycle run.
2. Allow instrument to air dry in basket. Then remove & inspect for any residual contamination.
3. Allow residue of rinse water to remain in instrument channels. This allows steam to form during the sterilization process. If needed, inject distilled or de-ionized water in to channels.
Follow institutional Policy and Procedures. Wrap properly for steam sterilization with sterilization indicator strip in lowest and most inaccessible portion of the packaging. Use two layers of non woven disposable sterilization wrap on outside of packaging. Seal with sterilization indicator tape. Label and initial and date.
l. Follow sterilizer manufacturer instructions for use of the steam sterilizer.
2. Recommended Minimum Exposure Times (Minutes after conditioning) for Steam Sterilization: Gravity 250 F (121c): 30 minutes. Gravity 270 -274 F (132 -134 c): 15 minutes, Pre-vac 270 -274 F (132 - 134 c): 4 minutes.
3. Remove from sterilizer and allow to cool on sterilizer rack. Assure package integrity and store on designated shelves for sterile instruments.
4. Inspect instrument closely before each use for
damaged, loose parts and proper
There are three (3) loose or removable parts on the Kumar
Clamp® and the Kumar SILS Clamp each: the black plastic cap
over the flush port, the channel valve assembly and the screw that
holds the valve in place.
Nashville Surgical Instruments
2005 Kumar Lane
Springfield, TN. 37172
® Registered Trademark of Nashville Surgical Instruments